- 1 pound bone-in chicken breast halves
- 12 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken base
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- Place the chicken, water, bay leaves and pepper in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; set aside to cool. Strain broth, discarding bay leaves. Skim fat from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones and cut into 1/2-inch pieces; discard bones.
- In a large stockpot coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the celery, beans, carrots, parsley and Italian seasoning. Stir in broth and chicken base. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in noodles and corn. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add okra; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until noodles and okra are tender. Stir in chicken; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Makeover Carl's Chicken Noodle Soup(3)
Sort By :
I made a big batch of this soup for my lunches and froze about half of it. I disagree with the reviewer who said it was bland - I thought the flavor was great! Not overly salty, which is usually my problem with chicken soups. The homemade stock really added to the flavor, and the okra was a fun and delicious addition. Definitely going to become a staple in my freezer!
This was VERY healthy, but Very bland. It didn't have a lot of flavor. I was actually embarrassed to serve it to my family. :(
This is a wonderful recipe, brimming with flavor from the "home-made broth" and the variety of veggies. I served it to a bunch of northerners who aren't familiar with okra and they loved it... the okra flavor/texture doesn't stick out but works really great with everything else. I am making it again this weekend and doubling it!
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Noodle Soup >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >