Makeover Carl's Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 pound bone-in chicken breast halves
- 12 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken base
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- 1. Place the chicken, water, bay leaves and pepper in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken from broth; set aside to cool. Strain broth, discarding bay leaves. Skim fat from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones and cut into 1/2-inch pieces; discard bones.
- 3. In a large stockpot coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the celery, beans, carrots, parsley and Italian seasoning. Stir in broth and chicken base. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 4. Stir in noodles and corn. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add okra; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until noodles and okra are tender. Stir in chicken; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 149 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.