Makeover Cake with Coconut-Pecan Icing Recipe
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- ICING & GARNISH:
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the shortening, sugar and sugar blend until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla (batter will appear curdled). Combine the flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- 3. For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Add milk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, 3/4 cup pecans, 1/2 cup coconut and vanilla until smooth. Spread over warm cake. Sprinkle with remaining pecans and coconut. Cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 20 servings.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Splenda Sugar Blend and Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
1 piece: 271 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Cake with Coconut-Pecan Icing
"I would make this again. It is so good I could'nt stay away from it. Served it to some of my guests and they loved it as well."
"I ahve notmade this but would w/butter and not shortening. As for sugar sub....try Truvia or even Stevia! Natural sweetner from a plant! Not a chemical like splenda!!"
"Sugar blend is a blend of sugar and sugar substitute (most likely Splenda)."
"What is sugar blend?"
"To Netizen: Crisco shortening has 0 trans fats."
"Shortening has trans fats and they are NOT healthy."
"Made this with 8th grade students in a foods class and they all loved it! easy and delicious!"