- In a large bowl, beat the shortening, sugar and sugar blend until
- crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well
- after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla (batter will
- appear curdled). Combine the flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt;
- add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well
- after each addition.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in cocoa until
- smooth. Add milk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in
- the confectioners' sugar, 3/4 cup pecans, 1/2 cup coconut and
- vanilla until smooth. Spread over warm cake. Sprinkle with remaining
- pecans and coconut. Cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield:
- 20 servings.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Splenda Sugar Blend and Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 271 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.