Makeover Cake with Coconut-Pecan Icing Recipe
“My family is absolutely crazy about this soft, moist cake with its rich-tasting, super chocolatey icing. My dad would finish half the pan if he could!” Rivka Kahan - Brooklyn, New York
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- ICING & GARNISH:
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the shortening, sugar and sugar blend until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla (batter will appear curdled). Combine the flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- 3. For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Add milk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, 3/4 cup pecans, 1/2 cup coconut and vanilla until smooth. Spread over warm cake. Sprinkle with remaining pecans and coconut. Cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece equals 271 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC