Makeover Broccoli Cheddar Brunch Bake Recipe
This slimmed-down version of a favorite brunch recipe was requested by Carla Weeks in Independence, Iowa. It's hearty, wholesome and boasts all the gourmet flavor of the original!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, cubed
- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add broccoli and onion; saute until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg substitute, 1 cup cheese, milk, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in broccoli mixture. Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 178 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 139 mg cholesterol, 459 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC