Makeover British Scones Recipe
Carole Jasler of Lecanto, Florida asked us to lighten up this British tearoom classic without losing the tender, flaky texture and outstanding flavor of her original recipe. Our Test Kitchen did just that, and the tasty result has 54 fewer calories and 75% less saturated fat per one scone serving.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; add to crumb mixture and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times.
- 2. Pat dough into a 6-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 scone equals 219 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Makeover British Scones
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC