- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 cups cubed day-old sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and cubed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion, fennel, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cayenne and nutmeg over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with turkey mixture, red peppers, Brie and Parmesan cheeses and basil. In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, mustard and remaining pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 4-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Brie and Sausage Brunch Bake in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012, p29
Reviews for Makeover Brie and Sausage Brunch Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2012
"I've made this several times, and I always get rave reviews. I wouldn't change a thing!"
Reviewed May. 29, 2012
"Just as good as the original!"