Makeover Breakfast Cake Recipe
This yummy Makeover Breakfast Cake, a family favorite for years, now has about half the fat and a fourth fewer calories. That’s something to crow about! Nancy Taylor - Sedro Woolley, WA
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, eggs and oil until well blended. Combine the flours, oat bran, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended.
- 2. Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add batter. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece equals 193 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC