This yummy Makeover Breakfast Cake, a family favorite for years, now has about half the fat and a fourth fewer calories. That’s something to crow about! Nancy Taylor - Sedro Woolley, WA
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, eggs and oil until well blended. Combine the flours, oat bran, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended.
- Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add batter. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Breakfast Cake in Healthy Cooking August/September 2009, p22
Reviews for Makeover Breakfast Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review