This yummy Makeover Breakfast Cake, a family favorite for years, now has about half the fat and a fourth fewer calories. That’s something to crow about! Nancy Taylor - Sedro Woolley, WA
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, eggs and oil until well blended. Combine the flours, oat bran, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture until blended.
- Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add batter. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Breakfast Cake in Healthy Cooking August/September 2009, p22
Reviews for Makeover Breakfast Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 31, 2011
"My family did not like it much :-( Will try to make it one more time adding some nuts and dry fruits to see if it will taste any better."
Reviewed May. 3, 2011
"Pretty good. Nice way to incorporate lots of grains"
Reviewed Nov. 15, 2009
"Very moist and delicious!!! My kids love it!"