Makeover Best Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
This cornbread truly has a full-flavored rustic feel that will be the perfect accompaniment to your delicious turkey dinner.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the egg, milk, oil and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Place cubed bread on baking sheets; bake for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut corn bread into 1/2-in. cubes; set aside.
- 3. In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and pecans in butter until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the corn bread, cubed bread, eggs, seasonings and enough broth to reach desired moistness (about 2-1/2 cups).
- 4. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 8-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and top is lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 267 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 616 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC