- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the egg,
- milk, oil and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients just until
- moistened. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Place cubed bread
- on baking sheets; bake for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut corn bread into 1/2-in. cubes; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and pecans in butter
- until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the
- corn bread, cubed bread, eggs, seasonings and enough broth to reach
- desired moistness (about 2-1/2 cups).
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 8-10
- minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and top is
- lightly browned.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter. It makes enough dressing to stuff a 12-pound turkey. If used to stuff poultry, replace the eggs in the dressing with 1/2 cup egg substitute. Bake until a meat thermometer reads 180° for poultry and 165° for dressing.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 267 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 616 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.