- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the egg, milk, oil and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Place cubed bread on baking sheets; bake for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut corn bread into 1/2-in. cubes; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and pecans in butter until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the corn bread, cubed bread, eggs, seasonings and enough broth to reach desired moistness (about 2-1/2 cups).
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 8-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and top is lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Best Corn Bread Dressing
"This was excellent. I made the cornbread and dried bread cubes a couple of days in advance so that all I had to do was saute the veggies and mix everything together on Thanksgiving Day. What a treat. I especially liked the pecans in the recipe, added a little unexpected crunch to the dish. Very hearty and rustic dish. Will be making this again and not just for a holiday meal."
"I have been making corn bread Dressing since I was 12 and the first thing my grandmother andMOM told me Dressig cornbread DOES NOT GET sugar NONE I use a individual packet of applesauce and NO oil, or celery (personel family taste and NO bread crumbs only Corn bread and fat free Broth. it is an old family recipe of my step Dad.s and now ours. it works I have been serving it for over my 59 years of marriage. Taught my daughter-in-laws it too. KC"