- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 beef top round steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- 3 cups cooked yolk-free noodles
- Combine 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef in batches until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Whisk remaining flour with broth until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add beef, salt and remaining pepper. Stir in sour cream; heat through (do not boil). If desired, sprinkle with parsley and coarsely ground pepper. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Makeover Beef Stroganoff
"This dish was extremely bland."
"My daughters and I don't like mushrooms, but my husband does. We added all the fresh mushrooms and it was still good. This was a quick and easy meal."
"We both loved this lighter version of an old favorite. We're both more conscious about eating better, but we hate sacrificing the flavor. This recipe didn't disappoint. It was very tasty and filling despite the cuts in calories. This recipe is now in my own personal cookbook."
"I didn't really care for this recipe. I cut the recipe in half, to serve two. The flour on the beef seemed to turn gummy (I think I should have turned the burner up higher to produce a better sear), which created an unpleasant texture in the finished product. I couldn't even finish my plate, just not a plesant flavor..."
"This was pretty good! I do have a recipe that came with my old crock pot that tops it, but this was a pretty good stroganoff recipe."
"I made this for dinner last night. Since I cook for two I cut the recipe in half. I wanted to save even more calories so I cut back on the meat to 1/2 lb., increased the mushrooms to two cups, used cooking spray instead of canola oil and only used about 1/4 cup flour to coat the beef. That was enough to thicken the gravy.I also used 1/2 cup fat free sour cream. The recipe turned out delicious."