- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 beef top round steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- 3 cups cooked yolk-free noodles
- Combine 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook beef in batches until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Whisk remaining flour with broth until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add beef, salt and remaining pepper. Stir in sour cream; heat through (do not boil). If desired, sprinkle with parsley and coarsely ground pepper. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Makeover Beef Stroganoff
"this recipe is a keeper. It was delicious and I will make it again. Recipe did take more oil to cook the meal."
"Needed more seasoning but overall very good. Will make again!"
"This was very tasty. I love a good mushroom sauce. I did not use the reduced fat sour cream. I used the fattening stuff. I also used the traditional chicken broth. I think that added to the flavor. The only change that I would make would be increasing the amount of sauce. We really like to smother our meat. I would probably double the amount for my family."
"I though this was delicious, but I wouldn't say it was makeover. It needed way more than two Tbsp. Of oil to cook all that beef. Also, the beef needed salt with the pepper and flower. Although the sauce was seasoned, you can tell the meat was under seasoned. I recommend dividing the salt between the two."
"This dish was extremely bland."
"We both loved this lighter version of an old favorite. We're both more conscious about eating better, but we hate sacrificing the flavor. This recipe didn't disappoint. It was very tasty and filling despite the cuts in calories. This recipe is now in my own personal cookbook."
"I didn't really care for this recipe. I cut the recipe in half, to serve two. The flour on the beef seemed to turn gummy (I think I should have turned the burner up higher to produce a better sear), which created an unpleasant texture in the finished product. I couldn't even finish my plate, just not a plesant flavor..."
"This was pretty good! I do have a recipe that came with my old crock pot that tops it, but this was a pretty good stroganoff recipe."