- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 beef top round steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 cups cooked yolk-free noodles
- Combine 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef in oil in batches until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Whisk remaining flour and broth until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the beef, salt and remaining pepper; heat through. Add sour cream; heat through (do not boil). Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Makeover Beef Stroganoff
Sort By :
I substituted chicken for the beef and chicken broth for the beef broth. It was a tasty substitute.
This dish was extremely bland.
My daughters and I don't like mushrooms, but my husband does. We added all the fresh mushrooms and it was still good. This was a quick and easy meal.
We both loved this lighter version of an old favorite. We're both more conscious about eating better, but we hate sacrificing the flavor. This recipe didn't disappoint. It was very tasty and filling despite the cuts in calories. This recipe is now in my own personal cookbook.
I didn't really care for this recipe. I cut the recipe in half, to serve two. The flour on the beef seemed to turn gummy (I think I should have turned the burner up higher to produce a better sear), which created an unpleasant texture in the finished product. I couldn't even finish my plate, just not a plesant flavor...