The Taste of Home Test Kitchen trimmed the cholesterol and saturated fat in my original meat-lover's lasagna recipe, and came up with this healthier version. —Jacob Kitzman, Seattle, Washington
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Italian cheese blend
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Set aside 1 cup spaghetti sauce; stir remaining sauce into meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small saucepan, melt cream cheese over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cottage cheese, egg and parsley.
- Spread meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, Italian cheese blend, 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and cream cheese mixture. Layer with remaining noodles and reserved spaghetti sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Beef & Sausage Lasagna in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p27
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Makeover Beef & Sausage Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review