Makeover Beef & Sausage Lasagna Recipe
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Italian cheese blend
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Set aside 1 cup spaghetti sauce; stir remaining sauce into meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt cream cheese over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cottage cheese, egg and parsley.
- 3. Spread meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, Italian cheese blend, 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and cream cheese mixture. Layer with remaining noodles and reserved spaghetti sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Italian seasoning.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 298 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat
Reviews for Makeover Beef & Sausage Lasagna
"I made this recipe ver batum as it calls for. And it was delicious! Was searching high and low for a great lasagna recipe and I've found it!"
"This was really good. I thought I'd miss having fewer noodles in it but I didn't. I didn't put any sausage in it. Instead, I just used 1 lb of ground beef instead of 3/4 of a pound. I also added 1 more cup of spaghetti sauce to the meat sauce mixture cause my fam likes saucy lasagna! I am so impressed with the 3 g of fiber and 23 g of protein! Wow, this really fills you up!"
"Simply the best. Rich, zesty, cheesy goodness in every bite. Don't change a thing on this one."
"BEST healthier lasagna I've ever made!"
"The lasagna was heavenly. I used my own canned tomato sauce along with a jar of store bought spaghetti sauce and I used smoked turkey kielbasa because my store didn't have the links. This is recipe that I will keep. Thank you Jacob Kitzman for a healthy and tasty lasagna."
"I used ricotta instead of cottage cheese and it turned out great! No one even noticed the whole wheat noodles!"
"No the BEST lasagna I've ever had, but quite tasty. I loved that it didn't have layer upon layer upon layer of ingredients...it was pretty easy to make and assemble."
"OMG, this is the BOMB. We will def. make this again!"
"I am on a weight loss journey and have lost 35 pds so far. I came across this recipe and made it and it was amazing! I used all the ingredients but I did assemble it a little differently and I used ground chicken instead of ground beef(to lower the calories and fat a bit more) it was absolutely delicious!!! It presented very well also!!"
"I used one pound of turkey italian sausage & put some parmesam on top, because it wouldn't be lasagna without that taste on top. I loved it, not as much as my old lasagna that has about 3# of cheese in it, but I can't have that anymore. Actually, this recipe is very good."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.