Makeover Beef & Potato Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine flour and 1 can broth until smooth. Add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, celery, seasonings and remaining broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in cheese and milk. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 327 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 832 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Beef & Potato Soup
""Wow! Mom, you made this soup?" Used 32 oz broth, 1 can of cheddar cheese soup instead of Velveeta, and didn't add the milk because it was thin enough for my taste."
"Love this soup!!"
"This is really good. I am not one to use a crock pot so I did this all on the stove top. very good and simple with a lot of flavor. Took about 2 hours."
"I didn't have ground beef so I substituted ground turkey, and I am gluten free so I substituted gluten free flour. It was wonderful, just a little peppery for me."
"Loved it. Very easy to make and almost all things were on hand. My husband, who doesn't like soup, even liked this. I didn't have basil so I used some Italian seasoning, had to use beef broth and used 93/7 beef. It was great! Will make again!"
"Very good and easy to prepare! It was a big hit with everyone, from my picky husband to my 2 toddlers! I will definitely be making this one again! (I also only put in half the basil, but kept everything else the same)"
"This soup was so easy to prepare and I had all the ingredients on hand. I served this soup to our friends for lunch yesterday and it was delicious. The soup was so good that my friend asked for the recipe, which I sent to her today. I will be preparing this soup again and again. Loved it!"
"I did add a bit more chicken broth (which I make with 1t of chicken bouillon per cup of hot water) as the soup was very thick. I think next time I'd only add 2t of basil but it did taste really good."