Makeover Beef & Potato Soup Recipe
Slow-cooker easy, this soup is a Christmas Eve tradition after church services at our house. —SHEILA HOLDERMAN, BERTHOLD, NORTH DAKOTA
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine flour and 1 can broth until smooth. Add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, celery, seasonings and remaining broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in cheese and milk. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 327 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 832 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC