- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine flour and 1 can broth until smooth. Add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, celery, seasonings and remaining broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cheese and milk. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Makeover Beef & Potato Soup
"Love this soup!!"
"This is really good. I am not one to use a crock pot so I did this all on the stove top. very good and simple with a lot of flavor. Took about 2 hours."
"I didn't have ground beef so I substituted ground turkey, and I am gluten free so I substituted gluten free flour. It was wonderful, just a little peppery for me."
"Loved it. Very easy to make and almost all things were on hand. My husband, who doesn't like soup, even liked this. I didn't have basil so I used some Italian seasoning, had to use beef broth and used 93/7 beef. It was great! Will make again!"
"Very good and easy to prepare! It was a big hit with everyone, from my picky husband to my 2 toddlers! I will definitely be making this one again! (I also only put in half the basil, but kept everything else the same)"