- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until crumbly. Beat in egg, then egg white, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in the bananas, applesauce, honey and extract. Combine the flours, baking soda and salt; gradually add to banana mixture just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (10 slices).
Reviews for Makeover Banana Nut Bread
"Good but needs to be more moist."
"Absolutely delicious! I always need to bake it longer than the suggested time for it to cook through... but so yummy!"
"Delicious Banana bread! Best I've ever made :)"
"Underrated! AMAZING!!!! I made 17 cupcakes without nuts, and baked at 350 for 27 minutes. Only 4 Weight Watchers points!"
"Amazing! I like to slice it and freeze the loaf as it doesn't keep very long. Perfect to heat up for a quick breakfast."
"Nice banana flavor, moist, and holds together well. I am not crazy about the nuts on top, just a personal preference, so next time will mix into batter as another reviewer suggested. It's definitely a keeper especially since hubby liked it!"
"One small issue I have with this recipe is that I can kind of taste the honey. It's not bad, but it'd be best if it tasted more banana-like. Good recipe though."
"We have made this recipe many times. I sometimes use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour. Turns out fine too. Also, instead of sprinkling chopped pecans on top I sometimes sprinkle on peanuts or chocolate chips."