Makeover Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until crumbly. Beat in egg, then egg white, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in the bananas, applesauce, honey and extract. Combine the flours, baking soda and salt; gradually add to banana mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Pour into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (10 slices).
1 slice: 266 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Banana Nut Bread
"Good but needs to be more moist."
"Absolutely delicious! I always need to bake it longer than the suggested time for it to cook through... but so yummy!"
"Delicious Banana bread! Best I've ever made :)"
"Underrated! AMAZING!!!! I made 17 cupcakes without nuts, and baked at 350 for 27 minutes. Only 4 Weight Watchers points!"
"Nice banana flavor, moist, and holds together well. I am not crazy about the nuts on top, just a personal preference, so next time will mix into batter as another reviewer suggested. It's definitely a keeper especially since hubby liked it!"
"One small issue I have with this recipe is that I can kind of taste the honey. It's not bad, but it'd be best if it tasted more banana-like. Good recipe though."
"We have made this recipe many times. I sometimes use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour. Turns out fine too. Also, instead of sprinkling chopped pecans on top I sometimes sprinkle on peanuts or chocolate chips."
"I haven't made this yet butI bet it will be as good as everyone says it is! To make it even HEALTHIER, you can use egg beaters instead of the eggs, splenda in place of the sugar & split the white flour with the whole wheat (1 cup of each). I'm headed now to make it :)"
"I made a double batch so that it would last, one loaf doesn't do much in our house. The turned out great. I cut the sugar even further, changed the flours to 1c white 1c whole and used Walnuts instead of the pecans....wonderful."
"Unbelievable that it is made any different than other banana bread - maybe even better than the "real" thing! I used walnuts on top instead of the pecans which adds the bonus of omega-3's that are found in them!"
"We love this recipe and have given it away many times. Thankyou!"
"Delicious!! The only change I made was to mix the nuts into the batter instead of putting them on top."
"Perfect! Not too sweet, not greasy at all, and holds together very well. My husband said this is bakery quality bread."
"This is the best banana bread recipe I have ever made! Since I started using this recipe a couple of years ago, my hubbie doesn't like any other recipe!"
"I didn't have any unsweetend applesauce. I did have 1/2c extra bannas. That worked well.Katherine (kats_zoo)"