This soup holds on to its decadent qualities and mouthwatering flavor even though the Taste of Home Test Kitchen slashed the fat and calories it contained. —Judy Tyler, Bossier City, Louisiana
- 3 medium potatoes
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (white portion only)
- Additional parsley, cheese, green onions and crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-12 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in 1/4 cup flour; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth. Add the parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining flour with milk until smooth; add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Peel and cube potatoes; add to soup. Add bacon. Cook and stir until heated through. Add cheese and green onions; stir just until cheese is melted. Garnish with additional parsley, cheese, green onions and bacon if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Makeover Baked Potato Soup in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p6
Reviews for Makeover Baked Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review