This healthier version of her bacon chicken Alfredo offers all the creamy comfort, and rich homey flavor of the original, but slashes calories, cholesterol and sodium. —Irene Sullivan, Lake Mills, Wisconsin
- 1 package (16 ounces) whole wheat fettuccine
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook chicken and garlic in butter over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. Add cream and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the spinach, chicken, 3/4 cup cheese, Italian seasoning and half of the bacon; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain fettuccine; add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Bacon Chicken Alfredo in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p24
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Makeover Bacon Chicken Alfredo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review