Makeover Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition (batter will be sticky).
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, sugars and cinnamon. Spread half of the batter into an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with apples; sprinkle with half of the topping. Gently top with remaining batter and topping.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Apple Coffee Cake(11)
Sort By :
A nice cake with soft texture .Next time I?ll add extra nutmeg to the apple first to improve flavor and then add the apples to the batter as suggested. Thanks for sharing.
Great recipe! I made this earlier today and I love it so much I just have to leave a comment. I did make a couple of modifications to the recipe to make it a bit healthier. Instead of 2 cups of flour I added 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of ground oats/oat flour; instead of butter I added 1/3 cup of extra virgin coconut oil, and I also added dried cranberries and golden raisins instead of walnuts. This recipe is very delicious and easy to make!.
Delicious! This was a nice, plain cake and was really filling and lower calories. I get many requests for this cake and have made it 3 times already. For the tart apples, I used a combination of 1 granny smith and 1 fuji/cortland/gala. Also I omitted the walnuts since we are allergic. Instead, I crumbled 6 soft oatmeal rasin cookies into the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture that was spread over the middle and top layers of the cake. It gave it a nice flavor, and looked pretty when cut. overall this is a hit and will be added to my recipe repertorie.
This is a go to recipe for me. I usually have the ingredients on hand anyway, and it is easy to make. I have done it several times, both with and without the nuts, and it is always a hit.
This was good. I didn't have any sour cream so I substituted it with fat free greek yogurt. I also added the apples to the batter and put it in a 9x13 and baked for 25 minutes.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Coffee Cake >
- Apple Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cake with Sour Cream >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >