Makeover Apple Bread Recipe
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar and walnuts; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Makeover Apple Bread(34)
Sort By :
I made this recipe with early apples (more tart) from my grandpa's orchard and it turned out wonderful! I took it to work and everyone asked me for the recipe! !!
This was fantastic! I did wind up adding more applesauce because the batter seemed dry.
Like others suggested, I used 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce and added 1 cup of mashed banana and more cinnamon & vanilla (personal preference). Omitted topping but sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top -- might add to batter next time! Preferred this to the first one which I made by directions -- good but not as moist!
I used Splenda in place of the sugar to lower the calories and doubled the apple sauce to increase the moisture. It was wonderful and will be my go-to recipe for left over apples!
I make this bread often, I usually double the amount of apple sauce for a more moist bread. It never last long in our house.