- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar and walnuts; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Makeover Apple Bread
Sort By :
"Really tasty! I left off the topping and used 1 C of sweetened applesauce and 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice."
"Very yummy! I also added extra applesauce, and used butter instead of oil. I also added a little allspice, nutmeg and cloves. Thanks for sharing!!"
"I made this recipe with early apples (more tart) from my grandpa's orchard and it turned out wonderful! I took it to work and everyone asked me for the recipe! !!"
"This was fantastic! I did wind up adding more applesauce because the batter seemed dry."
"Like others suggested, I used 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce and added 1 cup of mashed banana and more cinnamon & vanilla (personal preference). Omitted topping but sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top -- might add to batter next time! Preferred this to the first one which I made by directions -- good but not as moist!"