- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar and walnuts; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Makeover Apple Bread
"I discovered this delicious bread recipe three weeks ago. My family absolutely loves it. The topping is crunchy and fabulous! I use chopped almonds in lieu of the walnuts, though. I use 1/2 cup Stevia , 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar. I also use 1 cup of whole grain wheat flour in the place of one of the cups of white flour. It still tastes great and is a bit lower in calories and a bit higher in fiber.I have made 10 loaves in the past 3 weeks and can barely keep up with my family's demand!"
"Really tasty! I left off the topping and used 1 C of sweetened applesauce and 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice."
"Very yummy! I also added extra applesauce, and used butter instead of oil. I also added a little allspice, nutmeg and cloves. Thanks for sharing!!"
"I made this recipe with early apples (more tart) from my grandpa's orchard and it turned out wonderful! I took it to work and everyone asked me for the recipe! !!"
"This was fantastic! I did wind up adding more applesauce because the batter seemed dry."
"Like others suggested, I used 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce and added 1 cup of mashed banana and more cinnamon & vanilla (personal preference). Omitted topping but sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top -- might add to batter next time! Preferred this to the first one which I made by directions -- good but not as moist!06/28/2016 -- I turned this into 36 mini-muffins (cooked for ~16 minutes) & 1 5-3/4x3 loaf. Also, substituted Splenda for the sugar .... no chips because trying to keep diabetic friendly as much as possible.... I filled the mini-muffins a bit over the top because the batter was "firm" and they turned over very good!"
"I used Splenda in place of the sugar to lower the calories and doubled the apple sauce to increase the moisture. It was wonderful and will be my go-to recipe for left over apples!"
"I absolutely loved this recipe, no one knew it was a healthier version and it freezes so well too."