Makeover Almond Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, egg white, buttermilk, oil and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb and 1/4 cup almonds. Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine sugar and butter; stir in the remaining almonds. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece: 264 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Makeover Almond Rhubarb Coffee Cake
"This is one of my favorite way to use my garden rhubarb. I always get compliments, especially from those who appreciate low-fat items."
"Why is healthy always leave out the fat and not the sugar---for those of us who are diabetic this cake does NOT need this much sugar---actually the light version has one more gram of carbohydrates then the regular. This is no help!!"