Each piece of this makeover cake has less than half the fat and just a third of the saturated fat of the original. Plus, the calories have been cut by a quarter. But the flavor is still terrific.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, egg white, buttermilk, oil and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb and 1/4 cup almonds. Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and butter; stir in the remaining almonds. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Almond Rhubarb Coffee Cake in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p53
Reviews for Makeover Almond Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review