- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, egg white, buttermilk, oil and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb and 1/4 cup almonds. Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and butter; stir in the remaining almonds. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Almond Rhubarb Coffee Cake in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p53
Reviews for Makeover Almond Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2011
"This is one of my favorite way to use my garden rhubarb. I always get compliments, especially from those who appreciate low-fat items."