Makeover Almond Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
When our taste testers tried this, they were impressed with its mildly sweet flavor and fluffy texture, noting it was “easy to eat” and that “people will love this.” Shirley Durbin - Hutchinson, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, applesauce and oil until well blended. Beat in the milk, extracts and butter flavoring. Combine the flours, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in poppy seeds.
- 2. Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 269 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 181 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC