Make Ahead Vegetable Salad
From El Campo, Texas, Kathy Berndt shares this tangy salad that's chock-full of garden-fresh goodies. "Storing it in the fridge overnight helps blend the flavors," she explains.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green pepper, onion and
- cucumber; set aside. In a saucepan, combine the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Pour over
- vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or
- overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 38 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.