Make-Ahead Turkey Potpie Recipe
Some days, your cravings don't jive with your busy schedule. Problem solved! Whip up a batch of these rich, creamy potpies, and enjoy two tonight and tuck two in the freezer for another time. They take less than 30 minutes to prepare, and freeze beautifully. What's even better is the filling lends itself to variation. You can use what you already have on hand, even leftovers! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, potato and celery in butter until tender. Add the flour and seasonings until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in turkey and peas; divide mixture among four ungreased 5-in. pie plates.
- 2. Divide pastry into quarters. On a lightly floured surface, roll each quarter into a 6-in. circle; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits to vent.
- 3. Cover and freeze two potpies for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining potpies at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 4. To use frozen potpies: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges of crusts loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
1 potpie (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 575 calories, 30 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 837 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC