- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, potato and celery in butter until tender. Add the flour and seasonings until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in turkey and peas; divide mixture among four ungreased 5-in. pie plates.
- Divide pastry into quarters. On a lightly floured surface, roll each quarter into a 6-in. circle; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits to vent.
- Cover and freeze two potpies for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining potpies at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To use frozen potpies: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges of crusts loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Turkey Potpie
"My kids and husband couldn't get enough. Between the three of them, they ate 2 whole pies! I barely got to taste it!! I will definitely make it again! :)"
"Made this according to the direction. Did not have 2% milk only skim. For topping I used a container of ten jr. Size biscuits. Prepared the dish in a le Creuset brassier and just put the biscuits on top. Baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Turned out great. I do agree it needs more liquid I just added more chicken stock till the consistency looked right."
"What started as a way to use leftover turkey has evolved into a regular recipe using chicken!! I made some other changes as well, but this recipe is simply delicious as is!! My children and husband love it as well!"
"Amazing as a pie, and as topping for hot biscuits out of the oven!"