- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, potato and celery in butter until tender. Add the flour and seasonings until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in turkey and peas; divide mixture among four ungreased 5-in. pie plates.
- Divide pastry into quarters. On a lightly floured surface, roll each quarter into a 6-in. circle; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits to vent.
- Cover and freeze two potpies for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining potpies at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To use frozen potpies: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges of crusts loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Turkey Potpie
"Excellent! I used chicken and made my own pie crust. Janet VFE"
"Every year I make this after our Thanksgiving dinner. My family would rather have this than the turkey with all the trimmings. Easy to prepare and usually have all the ingredients on hand. Very good on a cold November day. I save the other one for the night we put up the tree for Christmas."
"Love this recipe, especially after Christmas dinner when I'm tired of turkey. Just cook, freeze and heat and serve. Delicious!!"
"Excellent & EASY recipe! Like others have stated, I would add a little bit more milk and chicken broth. I'll be making this substituting chicken and beef for the meat too."
"My kids and husband couldn't get enough. Between the three of them, they ate 2 whole pies! I barely got to taste it!! I will definitely make it again! :)"