Make-Ahead Squash Soup Recipe
"I make a big batch of this soup when I have an abundance of zucchini from the garden," writes Suzanne McKinley of Lyons, Georgia. "In winter, I just heat and serve it to be reminded of summer's goodness. It's also a nice treat to take to a shut-in or sick friend."
- SOUP BASE:
- 3 pounds zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Grated Parmesan cheese and crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- 1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine soup base ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 18-20 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. Puree in batches in a blender or food processor; cool. Place 2 cups into each of four freezer containers. Yield: 4 batches.
- 3. To prepare one batch of soup: Thaw soup base in refrigerator. Transfer to a saucepan. Add cream; cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Yield: 3 cups per batch.
1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 51 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Make-Ahead Squash Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC