Make-Ahead Squash Soup Recipe
"I make a big batch of this soup when I have an abundance of zucchini from the garden," writes Suzanne McKinley of Lyons, Georgia. "In winter, I just heat and serve it to be reminded of summer's goodness. It's also a nice treat to take to a shut-in or sick friend."
- SOUP BASE:
- 3 pounds zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Grated Parmesan cheese and crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, combine soup base ingredients ; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Cool slightly.
- Puree in batches in a blender or food processor; cool. Place 2 cups each into freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 4 batches (8 cups total).
Originally published as Make-ahead Squash Soup in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p38
Reviews for Make-Ahead Squash Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review