- 1 carton (15 ounces) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 jars (24 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- In a large bowl, mix ricotta, spinach, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and seasonings. In a large bowl, mix spaghetti sauce and water; spread 1 cup into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Fill uncooked manicotti shells with ricotta mixture; arrange over sauce. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until manicotti is tender.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 7 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Spinach Manicotti
Sort By :
"I've made this recupe a few times now and I've always loved it, both for guests, for my family, and as a freezer meal. It is time-consuming but I can't imagine a manicotti recipe that's not. However, the fact that you leave the manicotti uncooked is so helpful, particularly in stuffing. I've used a lower fat ricotta cheese and generally tend to add more garlic powder and even a little feta if I'm in the mood. A little basic and oregano are delicious too."
"My family love this manicotti. I have made with and without meat. So easy and great to have done ahead."
"This is my favorite recipe to make when I have too many things to do and company coming next day."
"I was getting the recipe ready to give to a gal that attends my church and realized just how long I have been making this. This is a good, flavorful and tasty recipe, and because it's meatless it can save a bit on your food bill. I do cut back on the sauce by 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount. This is one recipe you never want to lose."
"Not very flavorful. I was hoping for a better flavor with the cheese, but this didn't have it, which was surprising."