- 1 carton (15 ounces) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 jars (24 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- In a large bowl, mix ricotta, spinach, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, parsley and seasonings. In a large bowl, mix spaghetti sauce and water; spread 1 cup into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Fill uncooked manicotti shells with ricotta mixture; arrange over sauce. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until manicotti is tender.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 7 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Spinach Manicotti
"This was very yummy and even meat eater husband liked too. I did change a couple of things. 3 jars of spaghetti sauce as alot and I didn't have that much. I used 1 jar and 2 regular cans of tomato sauce with added Italian spices and left out the water. Worked great."
"Love it! I pretty much follow the recipe,with a bit less sauce. One tip for filling manicotti shells. Fill a sturdy plastic storage type bag or freezer bag with cheese filling and cut a hole in one corner about dime size. Twist the open section to close. Easy peasy!"
"Outstanding flavor and love to be able to make them ahead of time."
"We loved this manicotti. So easy to prepare too."
"As suggested, I used 700ml of sauce with the water added meat and mushrooms. Cooked covered for 50 minutes. Took foil off and brown lightly. Absolutely easy peasy and delicious!!! Will keep this recipe."
"Love the recipe. Very easy to prepare, and freezes well."
"This tasted great. Only problem was apparently too much sauce. The manicotti feel apart completely. All was completely swimming in sauce. Suggestions as to what I did wrong? I think to leave out the water would help, and maybe one of the sauce? ??? Not experienced with manicotti. We liked it regardless!"
"Made this for my daughter, her guy friend and myself. Hubby is on a fishing vacation. Saved this for when he wasn't home, since he doesn't care for spinach in anything except alone or creamed. Definitely gonna make this again! I only did a couple of things different. 1) I only used 1 jar of spaghetti sauce in the pan, with a second jar warmed up to ladle over if anyone wanted more sauce. 2) I didn't think about making this the day before, so I couldn't let it sit overnight. Rather, I let it sit in the frig for a couple of hours, and then left the foil on when I put it in the oven and baked for the full 50 min. Noodles were perfect! 3 )I used a vodka spaghetti sauce, since I really like that flavor spaghetti sauce. It was all perfect! Rounded it all out with garlic bread and a tossed salad. Kudos to the recipe creator!"
"I've made this recupe a few times now and I've always loved it, both for guests, for my family, and as a freezer meal. It is time-consuming but I can't imagine a manicotti recipe that's not. However, the fact that you leave the manicotti uncooked is so helpful, particularly in stuffing. I've used a lower fat ricotta cheese and generally tend to add more garlic powder and even a little feta if I'm in the mood. A little basic and oregano are delicious too."
"My family love this manicotti. I have made with and without meat. So easy and great to have done ahead."