Make-Ahead Sloppy Joes Recipe
"I frequently made big batches of these flavorful filled buns when our six children were growing up," relates Alyne Fuller of Odessa, Texas. "Having the zesty sandwiches in the freezer was such a time-saver on busy days. Now my kids make them for their families."
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14 to 16 sandwich buns, split
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.Remove the centers from the tops and bottoms of each bun. Tear removed bread into small pieces; add to skillet. Set buns aside.
- 2. Stir in remaining ingredients into sausage mixture. Spoon about 1/3 cupful onto the bottom of each bun; replace tops. Wrap individually in heavy-duty foil.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through or freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen sandwiches: Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 sandwich equals 294 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Sloppy Joes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC