- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14 to 16 sandwich buns, split
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.Remove the centers from the tops and bottoms of each bun. Tear removed bread into small pieces; add to skillet. Set buns aside.
- Stir in remaining ingredients into sausage mixture. Spoon about 1/3 cupful onto the bottom of each bun; replace tops. Wrap individually in heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through or freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sandwiches: Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Sloppy Joes in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p36
Reviews for Make-Ahead Sloppy Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 8, 2011
"My husband loved these, said they were one of best recipes I had made in a while. I personally didn't think they were that spectacular, but I will definitely keep a batch of them in the freezer"