Make-Ahead Slaw Recipe
This side dish offers make-ahead convenience with crisp, light and refreshing results. Ruth Lovett of Bay City, Texas adds olives and vinegar for a fun twist.
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, celery seed and mustard seed
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, peppers and olives. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Pour over cabbage mixture and stir gently. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Stir well; serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 3 servings.
1 cup equals 155 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 351 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC