This side dish offers make-ahead convenience with crisp, light and refreshing results. Ruth Lovett of Bay City, Texas adds olives and vinegar for a fun twist.
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, celery seed and mustard seed
- In a small bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, peppers and olives. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Pour over cabbage mixture and stir gently. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Stir well; serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Overnight Slaw in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006, p61
Reviews for Make-Ahead Slaw
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review