Make-Ahead Shortcake Recipe
- 1 loaf loaf-shaped angel food cake (10-1/2 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup cold 2% milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- 1. Arrange cake slices in a single layer in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes or until thickened; beat in ice cream. Pour over cake. Chill.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in frozen strawberries. Chill until partially set.
- 3. Spoon over pudding mixture. Chill until firm. Garnish with fresh strawberries if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 256 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 411mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Make-Ahead Shortcake
"my absolute favorite. good for just us and great for company, very impressive"
"This recipe is so easy to make. Light and tasty. I will certainly make it again and again. Keeps for days in the refrigerator. Great make-ahead dessert. Joyce N."
"I substitute frozen pound cake and top it off with frozen whipped topping. There is never any left. I am always requested to make this!"
"This looks delicious and quick and easy to fix."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.