This lovely layered dessert showcases strawberries. "This family favorite has all the satisfaction of traditional strawberry shortcake with just a dash of distinction," she promises.
- 1 loaf loaf-shaped angel food cake (10-1/2 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup cold 2% milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- Arrange cake slices in a single layer in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes or until thickened; beat in ice cream. Pour over cake. Chill.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in frozen strawberries. Chill until partially set.
- Spoon over pudding mixture. Chill until firm. Garnish with fresh strawberries if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Shortcake in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p36
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review