Make-Ahead Saucy Sandwiches Recipe
I've made these sandwiches many times for luncheons and light dinners. They can be prepared ahead of time and popped in the oven when needed.
- 24 slices white sandwich bread
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup prepared chicken gravy
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 bags (6 ounces each) ridged potato chips, crushed
- 1. Trim crusts from bread. (Discard or save for another use.) In a medium bowl, combine chicken, soup, gravy, water chestnuts, pimientos, onions, salt and pepper. Spread on 12 slices of bread; top with remaining bread. Wrap each in foil and freeze.
- 2. To Prepare Frozen Sandwiches: In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. Unwrap sandwiches; dip frozen sandwiches in egg mixture and then in potato chips.
- 3. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC