Make-Ahead Saucy Sandwiches Recipe
I've made these sandwiches many times for luncheons and light dinners. They can be prepared ahead of time and popped in the oven when needed.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + freezing Bake: 50 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 24 slices white sandwich bread
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup prepared chicken gravy
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 bags (6 ounces each) ridged potato chips, crushed
- 1. Trim crusts from bread. (Discard or save for another use.) In a medium bowl, combine chicken, soup, gravy, water chestnuts, pimientos, onions, salt and pepper. Spread on 12 slices of bread; top with remaining bread. Wrap each in foil and freeze.
- 2. To Prepare Frozen Sandwiches: In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk. Unwrap sandwiches; dip frozen sandwiches in egg mixture and then in potato chips.
- 3. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC