Make-Ahead Sandwiches Recipe
"I developed these 'fun buns' about 20 years ago when our four children were preteens," explains Marie Hass from Madison, Wisconsin. "Once they started high school, I kept some in the freezer for quick suppers when after-school activities kept them from eating with the rest of the family."
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup chopped dill or sweet pickles
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 12 hot dog buns, split
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, pickles, salt, pepper, garlic powder and pepper sauce; heat through. Stir in cheese.
- 2. Place about 1/3 cupful on six buns; serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate remaining meat mixture until cool.
- 3. Fill the remaining buns; wrap individually in heavy-duty foil and seal tightly. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen sandwiches: Bake in foil at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 295 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 908 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC