Make-Ahead Sandwiches Recipe
"I developed these 'fun buns' about 20 years ago when our four children were preteens," explains Marie Hass from Madison, Wisconsin. "Once they started high school, I kept some in the freezer for quick suppers when after-school activities kept them from eating with the rest of the family."
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup chopped dill or sweet pickles
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 hot dog buns, split
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, pickles, salt, pepper, garlic powder and pepper sauce; heat through. Stir in cheese.
- Place about 1/3 cupful on six buns; serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate remaining meat mixture until cool.
- Fill the remaining buns; wrap individually in heavy-duty foil and seal tightly. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sandwiches: Bake in foil at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Sandwiches in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p35
Reviews for Make-Ahead Sandwiches(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >