Make-Ahead Rhubarb Slush Recipe
If you're blessed with an abundance of rhubarb each spring, this recipe is for you! Whether you use fresh or frozen rhubarb, it's a refreshing accompaniment for any brunch.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + freezing YIELD:12 servings
- 8 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Lemon-lime soda, optional
- 1. In a large kettle, combine the rhubarb, water, sugar and lemon juice; cook until the rhubarb is tender. Strain, reserving juice. Add gelatin to hot juice, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a 5-qt. container or individual plastic cups; freeze.
- 2. To serve, allow mixture to thaw until slushy. Add 2 tablespoons lemon-lime soda to each serving if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC