If you're blessed with an abundance of rhubarb each spring, this recipe is for you! Whether you use fresh or frozen rhubarb, it's a refreshing accompaniment for any brunch.
- 8 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Lemon-lime soda, optional
- In a large kettle, combine the rhubarb, water, sugar and lemon juice; cook until the rhubarb is tender. Strain, reserving juice. Add gelatin to hot juice, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a 5-qt. container or individual plastic cups; freeze.
- To serve, allow mixture to thaw until slushy. Add 2 tablespoons lemon-lime soda to each serving if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Rhubarb Slush in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p89
Reviews for Make-Ahead Rhubarb Slush
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 13, 2013
"This recipe is so easy and quick to make, so refreshing on a hot day, and everybody loves it. I'll keep the frozen mixture on hand as much as possible."
Reviewed May. 29, 2009
"This slush is excellent with a splash of vodka!"