Make-Ahead Lettuce Salad Recipe
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- 1. In a 6-qt. bowl, layer half of lettuce, onion, celery, green pepper, water chestnuts and peas. Combine mayonnaise and sugar; spread half over the salad. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with the cheese and bacon if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Yield: 14-16 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with fat-free mayonnaise and nonfat Parmesan cheese topping and without bacon) equals 54 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable.