Make-Ahead Lemon Bombe Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cartons (8 ounces each) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Mint leaves, maraschino cherries, lemon and orange slices, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut cooled cake into 1-1/2-in. cubes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; set stand for 1 minute. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add the orange juice concentrate, sugar substitute, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until partially set. Fold in 2 cartons of whipped topping.
- Line a 5-1/2-qt. bowl with two overlapping pieces of plastic wrap, letting plastic wrap hang over edge of bowl. In another large bowl, gently combine the cake cubes and whipped topping mixture. Spoon into prepared bowl, gently pushing against side to prevent holes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Just before serving, uncover bombe. Invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Frost with remaining whipped topping; sprinkle with coconut. Garnish with mint, cherries and lemon and orange slices if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Lemon Bombe in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p42
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Make-Ahead Lemon Bombe
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review