Julia Kinard of Dallastown, Pennsylvania recommends this impressive make-ahead dessert to please a crowd. "For my granddaughter's birthday, my daughter placed slivered almonds artfully to decorate this cake as a bear instead. It was a big hit," she reports.
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup chocolate syrup
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Additional chocolate syrup
- Mint leaves and red candied cherries
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; set aside. In a large bowl, combine milk and chocolate syrup; fold in whipped cream. Pour into prepared pan; cover and freeze for 6 hours.
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Remove cream mixture from the freezer; carefully invert onto cake and remove foil. Spread whipped topping over top and sides. Return to the freezer for 2 hours.
- May be frozen for up to 2 months. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Just before serving, drizzle with additional chocolate syrup; garnish with mint and cherries. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Holiday Cake in Quick Cooking November/December 1999, p52
Reviews for Make-Ahead Holiday Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review