Make-Ahead Hearty Six-Layer Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 large hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- 2. Place the lettuce in a 2-1/2-qt. glass serving bowl; top with pasta and eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer with chicken and peas. In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients until blended; spread over top. Refrigerate, covered, for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 310 calories, 22 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Hearty Six-Layer Salad
"Made this for the11st time. Very delicious. Plan to make again..No changes made to recipe."
"Fabulous. Love the ease and the make ahead. I put just a dash of cayenne to the dressing for spice. I planned having leftovers for lunch, not happening. Even the teenage boys wiped it out."
"Made this today for a small family gathering. I did not add the peas, but did add baby leaf spinach, deli black olives and a shredded cabbage mix found in the grocery store. It was a big hit and easy to make."
"Excellent! So delicious."
"This is such a fresh salad. Made it just like the recipe except I don't like onions so I added finely diced celery and a pinch of celery seed. Recommend it for all potlucks."
"Thanks for such a great salad. Since it has chicken in it, I make it when I want a light lunch or dinner and have a fruit medley for dessert. Since I'm gluten sensitive, I substituted rice for the pasta. Also sauteed the onion a little before adding it to the dressing because I just don't like raw onion. I'll make this again and again."
"This was served at Bridge Club last night. It was great!!!"
"This is a great salad, easy to make, light & tasty for the summer; however, I will be making it year around."