- 1-1/2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 large hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Place the lettuce in a 2-1/2-qt. glass serving bowl; top with pasta and eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer with chicken and peas. In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients until blended; spread over top. Refrigerate, covered, for several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Hearty Six-Layer Salad
"Great recipe! Very versatile to adjust to make it exactly how your family likes it. My husband and I love it exactly as is. The children don't like peas, so I added corn instead and they loved it. Will definitely be making this again!"
"Made this for the11st time. Very delicious. Plan to make again..No changes made to recipe."
"Fabulous. Love the ease and the make ahead. I put just a dash of cayenne to the dressing for spice. I planned having leftovers for lunch, not happening. Even the teenage boys wiped it out."
"Made this today for a small family gathering. I did not add the peas, but did add baby leaf spinach, deli black olives and a shredded cabbage mix found in the grocery store. It was a big hit and easy to make."
"Excellent! So delicious."
"This is such a fresh salad. Made it just like the recipe except I don't like onions so I added finely diced celery and a pinch of celery seed. Recommend it for all potlucks."
"Thanks for such a great salad. Since it has chicken in it, I make it when I want a light lunch or dinner and have a fruit medley for dessert. Since I'm gluten sensitive, I substituted rice for the pasta. Also sauteed the onion a little before adding it to the dressing because I just don't like raw onion. I'll make this again and again."
"This was served at Bridge Club last night. It was great!!!"
"This is a great salad, easy to make, light & tasty for the summer; however, I will be making it year around."